Animal Sun Release New Single “Chasing Shadows” Co-Produced by Kenny Carkeet (ex-AWOLNATION)
Sophomore album generation waiting due out this summer
Spring tour with Kelsy Karter kicking off April 9
LOS ANGELES, CA – MARCH 18, 2022 – Indie pop quartet Animal Sun have released their latest single “Chasing Shadows,” co-produced by Aaron “Zeus” Zepeda with Kenny Carkeet (ex-AWOLNATION). The track is the first release off their upcoming sophomore album Generation Waiting, due this Summer. Animal Sun is also kicking off a nationwide tour with Kelsy Karter April 9.
“Chasing Shadows is all about living in the moment,” vocalist Steven Blake explained. “We want to remind our listeners to stop chasing a perfect existence at the cost of missing what’s right in front of them.”
Animal Sun’s origin goes back to singer Steven Blake’s days spent in Virginia as a pre-teen when he played music with his brother, William Alton. Coming from a musical family (dad on guitar, percussionist mom) who supported their ambition, the duo had a promising foundation for a musical future. It wasn’t until 2014 that the true origins of Animal Sun, the outsider band, began.
At this time, Blake’s close friend, James Sun, passed away. So, paying tribute to Sun and his group of “animal” friends, he decided to name his budding outfit Animal Sun. In their early days, the group drew inspiration from indie rock bands like Silversun Pickups, but after several years on the road (including an opening slot for The Frights), Animal Sun found their own sound.
Despite the success they were having locally, Animal Sun knew that being based in Virginia would hinder their career. They hit a ceiling and knew something had to change, and fast. So, they made a life changing decision: it was time to move to Los Angeles.
Through a few lineup changes, Animal Sun ultimately inked a single deal with Universal, and would go on to release the infectious “girl in blue,” a song with a positive message to fight against depression. The song, which was released at the onset of the pandemic, was an instant harbinger of what could come for them. After receiving such a great response from fans to “girl in blue,” to the wheels were set in motion for future success.
Animal Sun’s sound would evolve into a precise blend of alternative and indie pop. The balance served them well, with influential L.A. radio station KROQ playing them and millions listening on Spotify and SiriusXM. Their hit ‘girl in blue’ even snagged the #5 spot on KROQ, with their follow up single ‘touch’ placing at #2 for multiple weeks in a row.
Now, Animal Sun is on the brink of transforming from a smaller indie act to professional touring band. Armed with “Chasing Shadows,” along with a song with pop trio Dreamers (also produced by Kenny Carkeet) and a choice spot opening for Kelsy Karter, things are quickly coming together for Animal Sun. Their eagerly anticipated 11-song sophomore album is on the way, and that’s sure to build on the momentum of the past two years.
Animal Sun Tour Dates:
- March 18 – The Merrow – San Diego, CA
- March 19 – Last Exit Live – Phoenix, AZ
- March 20 – Rockstar Bar – Las Vegas, NV
Animal Sun / Kelsy Karter Tour Dates:
- April 9 – Goldfield Trading Post – Sacramento, CA
- April 10 – Brick & Mortar Music Hall – San Francisco, CA
- April 12 – McMenamins Mission Theater – Portland, OR
- April 13 – The Vera Project – Seattle, WA
- April 15 – The Beehive – Salt Lake City, UT
- April 16 – Marquis Theater – Denver, CO
- April 19 – 7th Street Entry – Minneapolis, MN
- April 20 – Blueberry Hill – St. Louis, MO
- April 21 – Cobra Lounge – Chicago, IL
- April 22 – The Crofoot Ballroom – Pontiac, MI
- April 23 – Rumba Café – Columbus, OH
- April 25 – The Middle East Restaurant and Night Club – Cambridge, MA
- April 26 – Mercury Lounge – New York, NY
- April 27 – DC9 – Washington, DC
- April 29 – Milkboy – Philadelphia, PA
- April 30 – Cat’s Cradle – Carrboro, NC
- May 3 – HENAO Contemporary Center – Orlando, FL
- May 4 – Purgatory at The Masquerade – Atlanta, GA
- May 6 — Upstairs at Ponyboy – Oklahoma City, OK
- May 7 – Three Links Deep Ellum – Dallas, TX
- May 8 – Mohawk Austin – Austin, TX
- May 10 – Nile Theater – Mesa, AZ
- May 11 – House of Blues – San Diego, CA
Animal Sun Online:
- Official Website: www.animalsunofficial.net
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/AnimalSun
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/AnimalSun
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/Animal_Sun
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@animal_sun
If you find this content helpful, please consider a donation. Thank you!